Friday, November 28, 2014

The post where everything is better. Lots better.

Last time I posted I was steeling myself in preparation for finishing our drive down to Florida in this;

I suppose a lot of people have them and enjoy them, but I'm not one of them. Sure they're slow, uncomfortable and cheap, but they also have a terrible dash layout and an awful sound system. 

Enough complaining though, in the end we had made it to Savannah and into our hotel, which was pretty nice. We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn which was nice, but evidently some Irish wedding party stayed there earlier in the week and drank the place dry. In the end I was able to get a little beer with dinner, the bed was nice and I slept like I was innocent or something. 

 As I said in the last post, rain had been following us forever and Savannah was no exception.  We walked in the rain to B. Matthews Eatery (I recommend the Bay Street Scramble with the home made biscuit) and in spite of, or maybe even because of the rain I think I may come back to Savannah to check it out. It's got that old Southern Gothic groove that you'll also see in some New Orleans neighborhoods.

A funny thing happened on the way our next stop though; the dealership called about the GTI. I was all set to hear that the timing belt broke or that I was in the soup for thousands for some other repair. Wrong! Fuel injector #2 had failed and was replaced under an extended VW warranty. Huh? 75k miles and I still have warranties in place? I'll take it. They also replaced the fuse block under a recall and changed my oil so I was out for a minimal amount of coin. Now, they did find out that clowns that did the previous oil change stripped out my drain plug, but that's a fight for another day. The good news is that were (with only moderate inconvenience) able to return the rental car and be back on our way. Many thanks to Lulu and the other folks at Butler Volkswagen in Macon, Ga. for their kind attention.

Doubling back to Macon and then south we stopped for the night in Gainesville, FL (after a pitstop in Valdosta, GA). This was pretty close to our final destination in Homosassa, FL so the rest of the way was easy, two-lane-blacktop through rural Florida. It was good to be back.

Our check-in time at our rental was later in the day so we had a little lunch at Leon Neon's. Awesome cornbread.

When we did catch up with the owner of the rental, he offered us the option of another location down the road which he thought we might like, and we did.





So we're here and relaxing. I'll post a little more about the Thanksgiving holiday later, but here's a hint about what it was like;




No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Say something.