Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Geek Interlude

I've had two developments on the maps/GPS front.

First, I actually read some docs for Garmin's GPS Mapsource program and was able to not only load the CenRut 2.8 maps on my Garmin Nuvi 205w (gasp!) but I was also able to include the 50m topographic contour data. This is perfect because now I will not only be able to see where I am when I drive over the edge of the road on the Cerro de La Muerte, but I'll also be able to discern the nature of the cliff.

I don't know if the voiceover from my Garmin will pick up any of the map's idiosyncrasies or not. Maybe a Latin accent?

"Ay! De cleeff! De CLEEF!!!

...or maybe full blown Spanish?

"¡Oye! ¡Perdedor! Ten cuidado con el acantilado montañoso..."

Anyhow, the second thing was that I was also able to load Cenrut's maps onto my Droid thanks to Navitel. This software was written by a Russian company, so again, I'm wondering... maybe a Russian accent? 
"Da, is cliff. Mebbe you should have rented airplane?

...or maybe full blown Russian? "Эй, неудачник. Вы действительно хотите ехать со скалы?"

I'm still planning on renting the NavsatCR maps, but I couldn't leave this alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Say something.